Complete your Stephen Stills, Manassas collection. Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album). ATL 60 021. Scandinavia. Stephen Stills, Manassas.
Manassas is the 1972 debut double album by Stephen Stills' band of the same name. It Doesn't Matter" was released as a single and peaked at Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones plays bass on and co-authored "The Love Gangster" and is reported to have said that he would have left the Stones to join Manassas.
A concept album, Stills and Manassas treat listeners to a variety of musical styles on this 2 record album, including latin based percussive rock, deep down. A concept album, Stills and Manassas treat listeners to a variety of musical styles on this 2 record album, including latin based percussive rock, deep down home country, blues as low as any man can go, to the kind of ballads and rockers Stills is known for in other bands. This musical tour-de-force shows off the considerable skills of the collective group, including Chris Hillman of the Byrds, and former members of The Flying Burrito Brothers (Hillman, Al Perkins, Byron Berline).
Rock, folk, blues, country, Latin, and bluegrass have all been styles touched on in Stephen Stills' career, and the skilled, energetic musicians he had gathered in Manassas played them all on this album. What could have been a disorganized mess in other hands, though, here all gelled together and formed a cohesive musical statement. The songs are thematically grouped: part one (side one on the original vinyl release) is titled "The Raven," and is a composite of rock and Latin sounds that the group would often perform in full live.
By: Stephen Stills (1972, Rock). More albums from Stephen Stills: Right By You by Stephen Stills. Stephen Stills by Stephen Stills. Thoroughfare Gap by Stephen Stills. Super Session by Stephen Stills. View all albums . Manassas. By: Stephen Stills (1972, Rock).
Stephen Stills and Manassas released a brilliant debut album in 1972 and it would become recognized as one of the better albums of its era. So what did they do for an encore? They issued a solid, if not brilliant follow-up. Down The Road has been criticized as a poor album, but I have to disagree. It may not have had the highs of its predecessor, but there are also very few lows. Any of the tracks could have been included on their first album without reducing its quality.
Manassas returned with a second album, Down the Road, in 1973. But it lacked the magic of its predecessor and the group soon split up, with Stills rejoining CSNY for a massive, but ill-fated 1974 tour. In 2009, a collection of unreleased demos and songs from the group, Pieces was released and is well worth checking out. See Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Other Rockers in the Top 100 Albums of the '70s. Next: Top 10 Stephen Stills Songs. Filed Under: Manassas, Stephen Stills. Categories: Anniversaries.
Features Song Lyrics for Stephen Stills's Manassas album. Stephen Stills - Manassas Album Lyrics. 1. Rock and Roll Crazies, Cuban Bluegrass Lyrics.
|A1||Song Of Love||3:28|
|A2a||Rock & Roll Crazies|
|A3||Jet Set (Sigh)||4:25|
|A5||Both Of Us (Bound To Lose)||3:00|
|B2||Jesus Gave Love Away For Free||3:00|
|B4||So Begins The Task||4:00|
|B5||Hide It So Deep||2:46|
|B6||Don't Look At My Shadow||2:31|
|C1||It Doesn't Matter||2:30|
|C3||Bound To Fall||1:54|
|C6||The Love Gangster||2:52|
|Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay|
|D1||What To Do||4:44|
|D3||The Treasure (Take One)||8:09|
- Recorded At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Mixed At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Mastered At – Atlantic Studios
- Pressed By – Presswell
- Manufactured By – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Produced At – Gold Hill Enterprises
- Published By – Gold Hill Music
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Copyright (c) – Gold Hill Enterprises
- Acoustic Bass – Roger Bush
- Bass – Bill Wyman, Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels
- Congas, Percussion, Timbales, Voice – Joe Lala
- Design [Cover] – Ira H. Wexler, Stephen Stills
- Drums – Dallas Taylor
- Electric Piano, Guitar, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Guitar [Bottleneck], Piano, Vocals – Stephen Stills
- Electric Piano, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Piano – Jerry Aiello
- Electric Piano, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Piano, Piano [Tack] – Paul Harris
- Engineer, Recorded By, Mixed By – Howard Albert, Ronnie Albert*
- Fiddle – Byron Berline
- Guitar, Mandolin, Voice – Chris Hillman
- Guitar, Steel Guitar, Voice – Al Perkins
- Harmonica – Sydney George
- Mastered By [Runout Etch] – GP*
- Photography By – Ira H. Wexler
- Producer – Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, Stephen Stills
- Written-By – Wyman* (tracks: C6), Hillman* (tracks: A5, C1), Taylor* (tracks: A2a), Lala* (tracks: A2b), Brewer* (tracks: C3), Stills* (tracks: A1 to C2, C4 to D4)
Notes℗ 1972 Atlantic Recording Corporation © 1972 Gold Hill Enterprises
Recorded & Mixed at Criteria Sound Studios, Miami, Florida
Discs are designed for continual play on an auto-changer phonograph.
Atlantic SD 26903 0996 on spine.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (A Side etched): ST-A-722471 D HTI-4D PR
- Matrix / Runout (B Side etched [first 4 scratched]): ST-A-724 ST-A-722473D HTI-GP PR
- Matrix / Runout (C Side etched): ST-A-722473-D AT/GP PR
- Matrix / Runout (D Side etched): ST-A-722474 E PR
|SD 2-903||Stephen Stills / Manassas||Stephen Stills / Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album, Col)||Atlantic||SD 2-903||US||1972|
|ATL 60 021, 2-903||Manassas - Stephen Stills, Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, Paul Harris , Fuzzy Samuels*, Al Perkins, Joe Lala||Manassas - Stephen Stills, Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, Paul Harris , Fuzzy Samuels*, Al Perkins, Joe Lala - Manassas (2xLP, Album, RE)||Atlantic, Atlantic||ATL 60 021, 2-903||Germany||1973|
|82808-2, D 111791||Stephen Stills / Manassas||Stephen Stills / Manassas - Manassas (HDCD, BMG)||Atlantic, BMG Direct Marketing, Inc.||82808-2, D 111791||US||Unknown|
|ATL 60 021||Stephen Stills, Manassas||Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album)||Atlantic||ATL 60 021||Scandinavia||1972|
|SD 2-903 0996||Stephen Stills, Manassas||Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, 180)||Classic Records, Atlantic||SD 2-903 0996||US||2001|