The Last Emperor is the soundtrack album for the movie of the same name. It features nine pieces composed by Ryuichi Sakamoto, five by David Byrne, one from Cong Su, and a few incidental pieces of source music. The album won the Best Original Score award at the 1987 Academy Awards.
Cong Su’s contribution to the soundtrack album comprises just one cue – Lunch – but there is much more of his music in the film; Su was basically responsible for writing all the period-specific Chinese source music one hears in and around the imperial palace during Pu Yi’s childhood. Most of it sounds much like Lunch, which is a soft, quiet, intimate piece for a number of Chinese folk instruments, including a dizi flute, a pipa lute, a guzheng, various metallic percussion items, and the ubiquitous erhu. It’s very authentic sounding, and has a calming, peaceful tone. Virgin Records 0777-7-86029-2-7 (1987). Music composed and arranged by Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne, and Cong Su. Conducted by Gavin Wright. Additional arrangements and programming by Hans Zimmer, Hiro Sugawara, Koji Ueno, Lau Hong Quan and Yuji Nomi. Recorded and mixed by Steve Nye and Ian Sylvester.
Listen to music from Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne and Cong Su like Where Is Armo?, Rain (I Want A Divorce) & more. A new version of Last.
Ex-Talking Head David Byrne and actor/composer Ryuichi Sakamoto (who co-starred in the film) each get a side of this beautiful score to Bernardo Bertolucci's Academy Award-winning film, and each took home Oscars and Grammys for their efforts.
Artist: Ryuichi Sakamoto David Byrne Cong Su, Song: The Last Emperor Theme, Duration: 5:54, File type: mp3. №288371214. Ryuichi Sakamoto David Byrne Cong Su The Last Emperor Theme. Duration: 5:54 File type: mp3. Play online Download. Download Ryuichi Sakamoto David Byrne Cong Su – The Last Emperor Theme.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||First Coronation||1:45|
|A2||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||Open The Door||2:55|
|A3||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||Where Is Armo?||2:26|
|A4||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||Picking Up Brides||2:39|
|A5||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||The Last Emperor - Theme Variation 1||2:19|
|A6||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||Rain (I Want A Divorce)||1:50|
|A7||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||The Baby (Was Born Dead)||0:56|
|A8||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||The Last Emperor - Theme Variation 2||4:29|
|A9||–Ryuichi Sakamoto||The Last Emperor - Theme||5:52|
|B1||–David Byrne||Main Title Theme (The Last Emperor)||4:01|
|B2||–David Byrne||Picking A Bride||1:59|
|B4||–David Byrne||Wind, Rain And Water||2:17|
|B5||–David Byrne||Paper Emperor
Arranged By – Dick Bright
Performer, Written-By – Cong Su
|B7||–The Red Guard Accordion Band||Red Guard
Performer – The Red Guard Accordion Band
|B8||–The Ball Orchestra Of Vienna||The Emperor's Waltz
Conductor – Leopold SchnellOrchestra – The Ball Orchestra Of ViennaWritten-By – Johann Strauss Jnr.*
|B9||–The Girls Red Guard Dancers||The Red Guard Dance
Performer, Arranged By – The Girls Red Guard Dancers
- Manufactured By – Virgin Records Canada Inc.
- Arranged By – Brian Gulland (tracks: B1 to B4), David Byrne (tracks: B1 to B5)
- Arranged By [Additional Arrangements] – Koji Ueno
- Compiled By [Album] – Hans F. Zimmer*, Haydn Bendall, Ray Williams
- Conductor [London] – Gavyn Wright
- Engineer – Haydn Bendall (tracks: A1 to A9), Mike Jarratt (tracks: A1 to A9), Shigeru Takise (tracks: A1 to A9), Shinichi Tanaka (tracks: A1 to A9)
- Engineer [London] – Clive Martin (tracks: B1 to B5), Hayden Bendall*, Ian Sylvester, Mike Jarratt
- Engineer [Tokyo] – Michio Nakagoshi, Shigeru Takise
- Mastered By – Greg Calbi (tracks: B1 to B5)
- Mixed By – Clive Martin (tracks: B5), David Byrne (tracks: B1 to B5), Glen Rosenstein* (tracks: B1 to B4), Steve Nye (tracks: A1 to A9)
- Mixed By [Assistance] – Mark Roule (tracks: B1 to B4)
- Producer – David Byrne (tracks: B1 to B5), Ryuichi Sakamoto (tracks: A1 to A9)
- Producer [Tokyo] – Aki Ikuta (tracks: A1 to A9), Hans F Zimmer*
- Written-By – David Byrne (tracks: B1 to B4), Ryuichi Sakamoto (tracks: A1 to A9), Trad* (tracks: B5, B7, B9)
Noteswith inner sleeve
Ryuichi Sakamoto's sessions recorded and mixed at Onkio Haus, Kato Studio, Aoyama Studio, CBS Sony Roppongi Studios, Abbey Road Studios, Lillie Yard Studio, CTS Studios and Electric Lady.
David Byrne's sessions recorded at Odyssey Studios and Lillie Yard Studio, mixed at Sigma Sound NY, mastered at Sterling Sound NY
℗ 1987 Virgin Records Ltd.
© 1988 BMG Music Group
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (SIDE 1): VL-2485 - A
- Mould SID Code (SIDE 2): VL-2485 - B
|208 749, 208 749-630||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su - The Last Emperor (LP, Album, Gat)||Virgin, Virgin||208 749, 208 749-630||Europe||1987|
|90690-4||Various||The Last Emperor (Cass, Album)||Virgin||90690-4||US||1987|
|CDV 2485, CDVP 2485, 0777 7 86532 0 2||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su - The Last Emperor (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD, Album, Pic)||Virgin, Virgin, Virgin||CDV 2485, CDVP 2485, 0777 7 86532 0 2||UK||1987|
|VIRGIN-1539||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne And Cong Su - The Last Emperor (LP, Album, RE)||Virgin||VIRGIN-1539||Venezuela||1988|
|PR 2204||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne||Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne - The Last Emperor "The Making Of..." (LP, Promo, Int)||Virgin Movie Music||PR 2204||US||1988|