Manassas is the 1972 debut double album by Stephen Stills' band of the same name. It Doesn't Matter" was released as a single and peaked at Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones plays bass on and co-authored "The Love Gangster" and is reported to have said that he would have left the Stones to join Manassas.
Complete your Stephen Stills, Manassas collection. Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album). ATL 60 021. Scandinavia. Stephen Stills, Manassas.
Rock, folk, blues, country, Latin, and bluegrass have all been styles touched on in Stephen Stills' career, and the skilled, energetic musicians he had gathered in Manassas played them all on this album. What could have been a disorganized mess in other hands, though, here all gelled together and formed a cohesive musical statement. The songs are thematically grouped: part one (side one on the original vinyl release) is titled "The Raven," and is a composite of rock and Latin sounds that the group would often perform in full live.
Stephen Stills and Manassas released a brilliant debut album in 1972 and it would become recognized as one of the better albums of its era. So what did they do for an encore? They issued a solid, if not brilliant follow-up. Down The Road has been criticized as a poor album, but I have to disagree. It may not have had the highs of its predecessor, but there are also very few lows. Any of the tracks could have been included on their first album without reducing its quality.
Manassas returned with a second album, Down the Road, in 1973. But it lacked the magic of its predecessor and the group soon split up, with Stills rejoining CSNY for a massive, but ill-fated 1974 tour. In 2009, a collection of unreleased demos and songs from the group, Pieces was released and is well worth checking out. See Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Other Rockers in the Top 100 Albums of the '70s. Next: Top 10 Stephen Stills Songs. Filed Under: Manassas, Stephen Stills. Categories: Anniversaries.
Band Name Stephen Stills. Labels Atlantic Records. Music StyleFolk Rock. Members owning this album5. DISC 1. 1. Fallen Eagle. 2. Jesus Gave Love Away for Free. 4. So Begins the Task.
By: Stephen Stills (1972, Rock). More albums from Stephen Stills: Right By You by Stephen Stills. Stephen Stills by Stephen Stills. Thoroughfare Gap by Stephen Stills. Super Session by Stephen Stills. View all albums . Manassas. By: Stephen Stills (1972, Rock).
Features Song Lyrics for Stephen Stills's Manassas album. Johnny's Garden Lyrics. Stephen Stills Lyrics provided by SongLyrics. Pulled outta my archives recently. I had forgotten how good. Some tracks are lacking in the technical sound area, but still good for a 45 year old album.
Manassas; Stephen Stills Song of Love. Manassas; Stephen Stills Blues Man. 04:04. Manassas; Stephen Stills Bound to Fall. Manassas; Stephen Stills Fallen Eagle. Manassas; Stephen Stills The Treasure. Manassas; Stephen Stills Johnny's Garden. Manassas; Stephen Stills Jesus Gave Love Away For Free. Manassas; Stephen Stills Anyway. Manassas; Stephen Stills Move Around. Manassas; Stephen Stills What to Do. 04:44. Manassas; Stephen Stills Colorado. Manassas; Stephen Stills How Far. 02:51
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Song Of Love||3:28|
|A2a||Rock & Roll Crazies
Written-By – Taylor*
Written-By – Lala*
|A3||Jet Set (Sigh)||4:25|
|A5||Both Of Us (Bound To Lose)||3:00|
|B2||Jesus Gave Love Away For Free||3:00|
|B4||So Begins The Task||4:00|
|B5||Hide It So Deep||2:46|
|B6||Don't Look At My Shadow||2:31|
|C1||It Doesn't Matter||2:30|
|C3||Bound To Fall
Written-By – M. Brewer*
|C6||The Love Gangster
Written-By – Wyman*
|Rock & Roll Is Here To Stay|
|D1||What To Do||4:44|
|D3||The Treasure (Take One)||8:09|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Manufactured By – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Recorded At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Mixed At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Produced For – Gold Hill Enterprises
- Copyright (c) – Gold Hill Enterprises
- Published By – Gold Hill Music
- Published By – Country Music Inc.
- Pressed By – Specialty Records Corporation
- Acoustic Bass – Roger Bush
- Bass – Bill Wyman, Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels
- Congas, Percussion, Timbales, Voice – Joe Lala
- Design [Cover] – Ira H. Wexler, Stephen Stills
- Drums – Dallas Taylor
- Electric Piano, Guitar, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Guitar [Bottleneck], Piano, Voice – Stephen Stills
- Electric Piano, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Piano – Jerry Aiello
- Electric Piano, Organ, Clavinet [Clavenette], Piano, Piano [Tack] – Paul Harris
- Engineer, Recorded By, Mixed By – Howard Albert, Ronnie Albert*
- Fiddle – Byron Berline
- Guitar, Mandolin, Voice – Chris Hillman
- Guitar, Steel Guitar, Voice – Al Perkins
- Harmonica – Sydney George
- Other [In Tribute] – Al Wilson (tracks: D4), Duane Allman (tracks: D4), Jimi Hendrix (tracks: D4)
- Photography By – Ira H. Wexler
- Producer – Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, Stephen Stills
- Written-By – Hillman* (tracks: A5, C1), Stills* (tracks: A1 to C2, C4 to D4)
Notes"SP"-suffix in matrix number on label denotes a Specialty pressing.
This is a reissue with the Warner logo and 75 Rockefeller address in the label rim text.
Issued with a poster of the band.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side 1 Label): ST-A-722471-SP
- Matrix / Runout (Side 2 Label): ST-A-722473-SP
- Matrix / Runout (Side 3 Label): ST-A-722472-SP
- Matrix / Runout (Side 4 Label): ST-A-722474-SP
- Matrix / Runout (Side 1 Etched): ST-A-722471-J 1-1 SF
- Matrix / Runout (Side 2 Etched): ST-A-722473 (2 scratched out) -J 1-1 SF
- Matrix / Runout (Side 3 Etched): ST-A-722472 (2 scratched over 3) -J 1-1 SF
- Matrix / Runout (Side 4 Etched): ST-A-722474-J 1-1 SF
- Matrix / Runout (All Sides): Specialty Stamp
|SD 2-903||Stephen Stills / Manassas||Stephen Stills / Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album, Col)||Atlantic||SD 2-903||US||1972|
|82808-2, D 111791||Stephen Stills / Manassas||Stephen Stills / Manassas - Manassas (HDCD, BMG)||Atlantic, BMG Direct Marketing, Inc.||82808-2, D 111791||US||Unknown|
|ATL 60 021||Stephen Stills, Manassas||Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album)||Atlantic||ATL 60 021||Scandinavia||1972|
|SD 2-903 0996||Stephen Stills, Manassas||Stephen Stills, Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album, Ltd, RE, RM, 180)||Classic Records, Atlantic||SD 2-903 0996||US||2001|
|K 60021||Stephen Stills / Manassas||Stephen Stills / Manassas - Manassas (2xLP, Album)||Atlantic||K 60021||Italy||1972|